Thursday, January 8, 2015

Be more productive

I had added this to my Emotional spectrum of goals because I do feel so much better when I'm working towards something, or just being productive and not wasting my time being a slug.

"Be less of a slug" is not quite positive and neither is it quantifiable. So I decided that the two biggest distractors that lead me down the path of sluggardness (I didn't expect that to be a word, but it don't get autocorrected, so I'm calling it good) is the internet and cable. I was moving back to Bethel and planned to live on  my own for the first time and I LOVE making myself a little introverted nest inside my own little space and not moving or talking to anyone. But if there is no cable or internet to keep me there, after so many books and so much journaling, I need some outside stimulation. I knew that if I was testing out my new little nest, experiencing THIS IS ALL MINE!, and had those two little friends at my fingertips, I really wouldn't to anything but go to school then go home and dread any social interactions like an obligation kin to pulling my own teeth. I really an an introvert and being by myself is how I charge my batteries. I do love my friends, family, and social gatherings in general, but it takes energy and I can run out of cares without that down time.

But having a place to myself means all my time home is down time. I get some of that recharge every morning and every night. And since I didn't have cable or internet, this down time involved reading and journaling and cooking, the most recharging of all my chargeables (now I am making up a word). It also meant that I was ready to go when people called and wanted to do stuff (maybe I was already half way to their house anyways because I was REALLY ready for people time).

This was the perfect scenario for the first semester back in Bethel. But now it's becoming more evident that I can be more productive with internet at the house. I started ignoring or just not caring about things I wanted to get done because it required the internet and I just didn't want to walk to school or the library to use it (so I am still a slug in some ways). So now "be more productive" involves hooking up the internet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment