Thursday, January 8, 2015

New Teaching Company Course

Quite a few years ago, I became very interested (and sporadically obsessed on and off since) with "classic education." I started reading books from the Great Books list, trying to make sense and order of major historical events, checking out math and science text books from the library to brush up on different sciences, creating a vast collection of classical music, watching lectures from the Teaching Company, and basically letting my inner nerd have an hour every morning to have free reign. I put "new course" on the "intellectual" spectrum of goals for this year. I was planning on purchasing another course from the Teaching Company, because I have LOVED everything I've received from them so far. But since then, I've been using iTunes U which offers courses in everything for FREE. Then I began to really look into Khan academy which has free videos on everything, but also math programs you can work through. TEDtalks can teach you almost everything. Again for free. Duolingo is just like Rosetta Stone, except free. So that's the road I will travel from now on.

I am 45% complete with Algebra on Khan. I completed "Australian Aboriginal History" from iTunes U while traveling there. I have been working my way through Early Middle Ages, which goes along with the classical book list on which I am currently working. I used Duolingo to get basic Italian under my belt before visiting, and now I'm working on Spanish in prep for spring break to Mexico. My next birthday list will include actually finishing these courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment