Thursday, January 8, 2015

Try 5 new cultural dishes and complete recipes in one Paleo cookbook

These two complemented each other because the 5 new dishes came from the Paleo cookbook. I forgot to take pictures of each dish as I made it, but they were all delicious. It gave real purpose to my shopping and meal planning, which was important during the first few weeks that school started. I needed that mental break to think about and plan something besides 5th grade every night.

The five new dishes were:
Rogan Josh- much like curry, but a Kashmir blend of spices (I had no idea Kashmir was a thing)
Eggfoo Young- can't tell you if I had ever eaten before, but defiantly never had made it
Machacado- a Mexican dish made from shredded, dried beef, eggs, diced onion and tomato, and a touch of jalapeƱo
Scotch Eggs- OMG why have I never eaten these before? Sooo good.
Char Siu- (Cantonese) Definitely a recipe I would have never attempted without this challenge, because it requires prep, 30 minutes of marinating, and 1h 40m to cook, so of which involved turning, basting, then broiling slightly while keeping an eagle eye on it. I'm more of a set-it-and-forget-it type. Or stand at the stove for 30 minutes stirring stuff in a pan with a glass of wine in my hand. But it did turn out delicious.
Pad Thai- pretty darn good, but in Bethel, the ingredients are a bit expensive to get.


Also noted:
There were a couple other recipes that were just meatballs or salmon with new spice blends. The Morrocan, Chezch, and Bora Bora meatballs were all amazing and worth do-overs. The Salmon a L'Afrique Du Nord was ok, but I nothing I've been hankering to repeat.

The Book:

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/wellfed/


No comments:

Post a Comment